Friday 6 May 2011

The Gift - Czesław Miłosz

The Friday treat.  I tend to show you animation but the many clips that I can show you have quite sad/sinister overtones, and as this is the Easter season and Wrocław is looking so good in this spring I would prefer something more light.

Czesław Miłosz is someone who is worthy of a long article about himself (a job for myself in the future when I have more time on my hands).  He is one of my favourite poets.  While his choice of identification with a nation is somewhat complicated for many, his poetry written in Polish and influenced by his first few decades of his life lived in Poland results in him being influential in culture in Poland.



The Gift

Fog lifted early. I worked in the garden.
Hummingbirds were stopping over the honeysuckle flowers.
There was no thing on earth I wanted to possess.
I knew no one worth my envying him.
Whatever evil I had suffered, I forgot.
To think that once I was the same man did not embarrass me.
In my body I felt no pain.
When straightening up, I saw blue sea and sails. 


Here's him reading the poem in Polish.

Kraków residents will be able to attend the 2nd Czesław Miłosz festival from the 9th till the 15th of May.



No comments:

Post a Comment